01000010 01100001 01101110 01100001 01101110 01100001 00100000 01010000 01110101 01100100 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01000011 01110101 01110000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110011
Are you a fan of banana pudding? Then I’m now your favorite robot in the world. R2D2 who? HAL? Ha!
The absolutely best part of this recipe is the frosting. Not only is it wonderfully banana-y and pudding-y (just how jealous are you right now of my
verbs adjectives?) but the vanilla wafers soften under the layers of frosting and it’s like you’re really eating banana pudding slathered on a cupcake. C3PO? Don’t make me laugh.
I forgot to photograph the insides of the cupcake so you could see the layers of vanilla wafers in the frosting, so here’s an action shot with a human! A human! How rare.
Have you ever watched a human eat a cupcake? It’s like a train wreck you can’t look away from. There’s frosting on noses and crumbs on shirts… I’m definitely a fork advocate. Or spoon, if you wanted to be more historically accurate with the pudding and all.
But I’m hardly ever presently accurate, so just eat these cupcakes however you’d like, even if all the robots in the room cringe and hug the forks closer to their chests.
Vanilla Wafer Cupcakes
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup coarsely crushed vanilla wafers
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla extract.
3. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in half of this flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix in milk, and then add the remaining flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Fold in crushed vanilla wafers.
4. Fill baking cups 2/3 of the way full and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Banana Pudding Frosting
from The Little Kitchen
1 cup milk
1 box (3.4 oz) instant banana pudding
8 oz cream cheese, softened
12 oz Cool Whip, thawed
1. In a small bowl, combine milk and instant pudding. Set aside and let the pudding set.
2. In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese and Cool Whip. Stir in pudding.
3. To assemble: spread a thin layer of frosting on a cupcake. Top with a vanilla wafer, then cover again with another layer of frosting. Repeat once more until you have two layers of vanilla wafers, both frosted. Top with one more vanilla wafer.
Note: this frosting must be kept refrigerated, even after you’ve frosted the cupcakes.