11. 01. 2013

01000010 01100001 01101110 01100001 01101110 01100001 00100000 01010000 01110101 01100100 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01000011 01110101 01110000 01100011 01100001 01101011 01100101 01110011

Are you a fan of banana pudding? Then I’m now your favorite robot in the world. R2D2 who? HAL? Ha!

The absolutely best part of this recipe is the frosting. Not only is it wonderfully banana-y and pudding-y (just how jealous are you right now of my verbs adjectives?) but the vanilla wafers soften under the layers of frosting and it’s like you’re really eating banana pudding slathered on a cupcake. C3PO? Don’t make me laugh.

I forgot to photograph the insides of the cupcake so you could see the layers of vanilla wafers in the frosting, so here’s an action shot with a human! A human! How rare.

Have you ever watched a human eat a cupcake? It’s like a train wreck you can’t look away from. There’s frosting on noses and crumbs on shirts… I’m definitely a fork advocate. Or spoon, if you wanted to be more historically accurate with the pudding and all.

But I’m hardly ever presently accurate, so just eat these cupcakes however you’d like, even if all the robots in the room cringe and hug the forks closer to their chests.

Vanilla Wafer Cupcakes
makes 12

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup coarsely crushed vanilla wafers

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.

2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla extract.

3. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in half of this flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix in milk, and then add the remaining flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Fold in crushed vanilla wafers.

4. Fill baking cups 2/3 of the way full and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Banana Pudding Frosting
from The Little Kitchen

1 cup milk
1 box (3.4 oz) instant banana pudding
8 oz cream cheese, softened
12 oz Cool Whip, thawed

1. In a small bowl, combine milk and instant pudding. Set aside and let the pudding set.

2. In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese and Cool Whip. Stir in pudding.

3. To assemble: spread a thin layer of frosting on a cupcake. Top with a vanilla wafer, then cover again with another layer of frosting. Repeat once more until you have two layers of vanilla wafers, both frosted. Top with one more vanilla wafer.

Note: this frosting must be kept refrigerated, even after you’ve frosted the cupcakes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Nutella & Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
Oreo Scones

24 Responses to “Banana Pudding Cupcakes”

1. What a fun cupcake idea! And who doesn’t like banana pudding?? :)

• Cybidon says:

I have never met a soul who didn’t. Which is good, because if you don’t like banana pudding you might not have one.

2. Erica says:

Oh YUM! I just pinned this recipe (saw it on FoodGawker), I am a huge fan of banana pudding, and they look adorable with the little wafer on top. Well done!

3. Sharon says:

My grandkids will go crazy over these…thanks for the recipe.

4. deb says:

These look so good. I’ve been doing pretty good about not eating sugar, but these might be my downfall.

5. Leslie says:

“Not only is it wonderfully banana-y and pudding-y (just how jealous are you right now of my verbs?)”

They are adjectives, not verbs.

6. LTaylor says:

I tried making these this weekend. I happen to not like banana, so I subbed butterscotch pudding for the icing.

7. Fabiola says:

I made these today, had friends over for dinner & everyone loved them !

8. Megan says:

Awesome recipe! Question, do you think these bad boys will be ok left out at room temp for 3ish hours? Thanks!

• Cybidon says:

Hi Megan! I don’t think this frosting is stable enough to stay out for 3 hours. :( Plus, these taste really amazing cold. Is there any way you could quickly frost before serving?

9. Jenn says:

I made these tonight and my family LOVED them. I am not a fan of Cool-whip, so I substituted with fresh sweetened whipped cream….SOO good!

10. Kristen A. says:

Is it ok to substitute instant banana pudding mix with an actual banana…i dont think i’ll find that in our place…:(

• Cybidon says:

I don’t think that will work, the pudding mix helps stabilize the frosting. Maybe you could try a banana buttercream?

11. Angela Cook says:

OMG!!! These are delicious!!!! Thank you.

12. tiffany says:

I made these with a banana pudding frosting and they were yummmmmmy!! Thanks for this!

13. Amanda says:

I made these exactly as written and they are awesome. Honestly I will probably replace traditional banana pudding with this from now on. Easily one of my absolute favorites already!

14. nicky says:

I made these cup cakes yesterday and they were delicious. So moist

15. Jenny says:

I love your idea! I changed it up a bit because I’m not a fan of banana pudding. I used vanilla pudding in the frosting, and instead of the first layer of wafers, I put thinly sliced banana then did the 2nd layer of wafers. They really had great banana flavor and we’re not too sweet. These are a new staple in my house. Thanks!

16. […] on the individual pictures above from Boulder Locavore, Foodie Crush, Ezra Poundcake, The Baking Robot, Just Love Cookin, and Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch to be taken to the individual recipes, and […]